secuProvided by William Gallagher Associates Insurance Brokers, Inc.
News broke last week that Anthem, the nation’s second-largest health insurance carrier, was the victim of a data breach by external hackers. This breach affects both current and potentially former clients of Anthem. WGA is monitoring the situation on an ongoing basis, and here is what we know at this point.
Anthem is working with the FBI to determine the extent of the compromised data. To provide members with the most current information, Anthem has created a dedicated website – www.anthemfacts.com – that will be continually updated as well as a toll-free hotline (877-263-7995) that members can access to answer any questions that may arise. Some of the notable information from that page includes the following:
- The impacted plans/brands include Anthem Blue Cross, Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield, Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Georgia, Empire Blue Cross and Blue Shield, Amerigroup, Caremore, Unicare, Healthlink, and DeCare.
At this point, it appears that Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Massachusetts (BCBSMA) was not impacted. However, BCBSMA is working closely with Anthem to determine if any members were affected and if so, they will formally notify individuals in writing and take appropriate, timely action.
- Initial investigation results include knowledge that the member data accessed included names, dates of birth, member ID/social security numbers, addresses, phone numbers, email addresses, employment information, and income data.
- Current investigation indicates that the information accessed did not include medical diagnosis or treatment data.
- Anthem does not believe credit card numbers were accessed.
- Anthem is currently working around the clock conducting an extensive IT Forensic Investigation to determine which members are impacted.
- All impacted members will receive notice via mail, which will advise them of the protections being offered to them as well as any next steps.
WGA will continue to report any information as we receive it from Anthem.
Click here for additional information on the consequences of Anthem’s Data Breach.